Tuesday, February 27, 2007

The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen (movie, 2003)

Like some other people in the world I do strange things. Including watch a movie because there's a cute guy in it.
That's the only reason I watched this one (mom and dad got me the dvd when it came out).
The movie is based on a comic book. the characters of said book are based on major literary characters from the 1800's (books & characters as follows)
Captain Nemo- Jules Verne's 20000 Leagues Under the Sea and The Mysterious Island
Allan Quatermain- H. Rider Haggard's King Solomon's Mines
Mina Harker- Bram Stoker's Dracula
Jekyll/Hyde- Robert Louis Stevenson's The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde
Rodney Skinner- based on character from H.G. Wells' The Invisible Man (still under copyright so Griffin couldn't be used)
Dorian Gray- Oscar Wilde's The Portrait of Dorian Gray
Tom Sawyer- Mark Twain's The Adventures of Tom Sawyer as well as The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn *later someone else wrote a book about him as well, not sure who or when.
The Villain "M"/James Moriarty is from a Sherlock Holmes book. (the Final Problem)
There are plenty of other books in the movie but there are almost too many to type so...
After watching the movie I decided that no matter how long it took me, I was not only going to have a copy of each of the book so much as mentioned in passing in the movie, I was going to read them.
So far I've gotten through (not all of these are in the list above):
20000 Leagues Under the Sea (I LOVE Nemo)
The Adventures of Tom Sawyer/ Huck Finn (so I didn't finish Tom Sawyer, I've seen the movie)
The Portrait of Dorian Gray (... most of it)
The Three Musketeers (skipped last hundred pages, had had it out of the library 3+ months thought someone else might want it) one of the pictures on M's wall is of these guys so...
Dracula (chapter in beginning, middle, end, too dull to read all, someday when suffering insomnia and out of boring psych homework to do maybe....)

Around the World in 80 Days ("You made good time"- "not as good as Phillius Fog. Around the world in 80 days? huh.")(Um that was from memory so it might not be spot on)
There are others but I want to get this posted at some point I'll continue and finish this and review all the lovely classics on this list.
The point of the list was that I've been ragging of books made into movies and I wanted to point out that somethings like that I do enjoy and some even give me something to obsess over.

I've always bashed books made into movies because even tha smallest mistakes bug me.
I've been addicted to books for a very long tome..... 3rd grade was um I think almost a decade ago. In that time I've read more books than I can could ever count after all, I can only count to ten if I am barefoot or wearing sandals.

No comments: