Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Booking Through Thursday

Okay normally I do BTT once in a blue moon. This one was interesting, to say the least.

I was wanting to try a certain author and wished I knew someone who had read her works so I could get a recommendation when it occurred to me that having a “YOU ask the question” Booking Through Thursday might be fun. Each participant could ask a question they’ve wanted to discuss with other readers. Perhaps, like me, you’d like a recommendation of a certain author’s best work, or perhaps you LOVE a certain genre or series but no one else you know does and you’d just like to discuss it with someone. Or perhaps you want to try a new genre and would like recommendations from seasoned readers.

It would help if everyone put some idea of the question or topic in their response comment here rather than just saying, “My post is up” so that those who can’t get around to everyone can see what the topics are and get to those which most interest them.


I guess I kind of would like to know how you fell in love with books and reading. What the first story you remember being read. I mean like a full book not a children's story, unless you still love that story.



I fell in love with books as a very small child. I didn't learn to read until I was around 9 and even then my mother taught me by drawing pictures of a cat on a mat, in a hat etc. It was a great way to learn. But let me put it this way phonics is HARD.

The first story I remember being read is... The Secret Garden. I remember sitting at the end of my mother's couch, listening to her read it. I don't really know why but I just loved it. And because this is my post the second story I remember is The Hobbit. Again I loved it. I remember that my siblings and I wanted to hear the next stories. My mother felt we weren't old enough to hear them. Looking back I know she was right. We weren't but dang it we wanted to hear them!

I also remember hearing the little blue ghost story book mom had that's title escapes me (again a book I still love) as well as Things That Go Bump in the Night, a book I keep hoping to find a copy of for myself. So far no luck.


also this is last week's cause I forgot to look last week at it so there might be another tomorrow!


3 comments:

Unruly Reader said...

Great question! I was already hooked on reading by the time I was in 2nd grade -- I remember having the chicken pox and being so happy I could stay home and read a horse book called "Tizz."

In 3rd grade, I remember our teacher reading us "Mattie, the Story of a Hedgehog," which I loved. And I remember our 5th grade teacher reading us "Bridge to Terabithia."

As a baby and as a young child, I know my mom read to me, but I cannot remember any of the specific stories. How weird is that? Anyway, it's all her "fault" that I'm a book addict today -- and I'm so grateful.

DelGal Reviews said...

Love the question and a cute answer too :)

As for me, I remember being read to by my grandmom and granddad all the time, Ant and Been and the Rainbow was my favorite, along with the Sweet Pickles books as a young child. When I started my love of reading I read Judy Blume and Beverly Cleary all the time and then started in on Stephen King as I got a bit older and became a horror fan.

I have my grandmom to thank profusely for my love of books, as she was an avid reader.

threecollie said...

I can't remember not reading. I do remember being in kindergarten and being made to sit by myself because as soon as they showed me how to read Dick and Jane I could and the other kids needed more time. Guess I wouldn't sit down and shut up. lol
Can't remember first books....except Dick and Jane...and maybe The Poky Little Puppy, which I simply loved.
Then the Trixie Belden series...all mysteries, horse books etc. The ones I have enjoyed most recently were the Ken Folletts and Diana Galbadons. Love you kiddo. Glad you remember the reading when you were little!